Free School Uniform Grant – Are You Eligible?

A child school uniform laid out flat

If you are struggling with the cost of living crisis, you could get a school uniform grant up to £150.

Read more to find out if you’re entitled to the free school uniform grant.

Does my council offer the uniform grant?

In Scotland

If you live in Scotland you don’t need to worry. The grant is compulsory for all local authorities who must pay at least £100 per child.

In England

School uniform grants aren’t a statutory requirement in England – which means councils don’t have to provide the funding

It’s worth checking your local authority to see if they offer anything and if you qualify.

To find out if your area offers anything click this link and enter your postcode. You can also find out if you’re entitled to other types of support, for example travel relief, free school meals and help with childcare.

In Wales

In Wales there is a Pupil Development Grant on offer instead. You can get up to £200 toward the cost of school uniform per child for Year 7 pupils, or £125 for reception, Year 3 and Year 10 pupils

Am I eligible to apply for the school uniform grant?

To claim the school uniform grant you must be claiming one of the following benefits.

You can also apply if your total household annual income is less than £16,190.

You must be able to prove that you are legally responsible for the child you are applying for. You can do this by sending a recent copy of your bank statement confirming the payment of child benefit to your account.

How do I apply for the uniform grant?

This will vary between different local authorities. Follow the information and links from your local authority website for more information.

When should I apply?

It’s worth checking with your local authority as dates may vary across the country. However, most applications can be made from 30th June up until 30th September.

In Wales the closing date for the Pupil Development Plan is 31st December.

You will be expected to re-apply every academic year, with some councils only paying the grant once.

How will I be paid?

You will be paid by cheque which must be paid into a bank or building society account in your name.

Share this post

Stay up-to-date with our top tips and guides for saving you money

Start our quick and easy loan application today