Coronavirus: Claiming Sick Pay & Benefits

The Coronavirus has had a big impact on many people and their ability to work. If your income has been affected, try not to worry, there are benefits you can get that will boost your income.

Are you in work and not claiming any benefits

If the Coronavirus means you’re unable to work, you could be able to get Statutory Sick Pay (SSP). You will get it from the first day you are off sick. If you are a gig worker and/or on a zero-hours contract, you may be entitled to sick pay. Check your eligibility for Statutory Sick Pay.

Getting a Fit Note

If you need to show evidence to your employer that you need to stay at home due to Coronavirus, you can get it from NHS 111 Online instead of having to get a Fit Note from your doctor.

Not eligible to receive sick pay

You can apply for Universal Credit and/or apply for New Style Employment and Support Allowance

If you’re already claiming benefits

All face-to-face assessments for health and disability-related benefits have currently been stopped. If you already have an assessment appointment arranged, you do not need to attend. Your assessment provider will contact you to discuss your appointment and explain the next steps to you.

If you have made a claim

You don’t need to do anything. The Department for Work and Pensions will be in touch either by phone or letter.

If you already get PIP, ESA, Universal Credit or IIDB

You will continue to get your current payments as normal.

If you have made a new claim or want to make a new claim

DWP will continue to take claims for all benefits. You may have to miss your appointment if you are suffering with Coronavirus, or are shielding. Don’t worry, if you contact them as soon as you can, the DWP won’t sanction you.

If you are staying at home as a result of Coronavirus

Your normal work search will be stopped for the time you are off sick.

What to do if you’re already claiming Universal Credit and have Coronavirus

Contact your work coach as soon as possible. You can do this by using your online journal, or calling the Universal helpline.

If you’re in work and already claiming Universal Credit and are staying at home on Government advice, you should report this in the usual way via your online journal. If this means you are working fewer hours, the amount of Universal Credit you receive will adjust as your earnings change.

Are you are self-employed and claiming Universal Credit?

Stay at home, the Minimum Income Floor (an assumed level of income) will not be applied for a period of time whilst you are affected.

If you’re making a new claim for benefits

You can apply for Universal Credit online and it’s important to make a claim as soon as you can.

Share this post

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Stay up-to-date with our top tips and guides for saving you money

Start our quick and easy loan application today